20 April 2011

On DS9 and the "Mirror, Mirror" Universe


          So, I'm watching DS9 for the first time.  I'm not what most would consider a Trekkie, I'm more of a Normal with Trek-like tendencies.  I've seen Next Generation and the original series several times at this point, and it will probably be a couple of years before I can watch either show again.  I never really got into DS9 when it was on the air, I think I gave up somewhere in the first season, and not without good reason.  The first three seasons of the show were quite lacking, as the show's creators failed to live up to their promise of creating a Star Trek with more edge to it.  Things don't get truly interesting until the Dominion war begins, which doesn't happen until season five.  And as far as the Dominion goes, don't they seem quite like the Borg without the biomechanical implants?

          The first episode that brought TOS's "Mirror, Mirror" universe into play wasn't all bad, but the concept is quite preposterous.  The campy nature of "Mirror, Mirror" was quite in line with TOS, but once TNG raised the bar for Star Trek it stands in stark contrast to everything else.  If they had done just one (or maybe two) of these episodes, I would be fine with that, but, if I'm remembering correctly, they did five.  Now, not only with this number am I assuming I'm counting right, I am also assuming that none of the remaining 13 episodes of season seven feature characters from the alternate universe.  I'm pretty sure they won't, but then again, I would have never imagined they would do five of these fucking episodes.
          It's not that I don't think parallel universes can exist, but if they did, there is no way that they could be so similar.  In "Mirror, Mirror", the Federation becomes the Alliance, a sinister empire bent on conquest, which apparently designs ships identical to those produced by the Federation.  The Alliance's Enterprise has an  Evil Kirk captain, an Evil Spock second officer, even an Evil Chekov helmsman.  And, in all of the infinite possibilities of the universe(s), they just happen to cross over to the parallel universe that is so strikingly similar to theirs.
            Like I said, this worked for TOS, because it was cheesy as all get-on, and it could work for DS9 a couple of times, as all Star Treks should be allowed to indulge in sci-fi cliché, but five times?  DS9 is, for me and a lot of Trek fans, the last series.  Voyager was dogshit, and Enterprise, well, that's probably best not to talk about.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to resume watching this garbage episode.  I had to pause it right after an Evil Vic Fontaine (what in the fuck?) got phasered to death by Evil Dr. Bashir.  Of course, maybe Evil Bashir never went to med school, what, with the evilness and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment